At the Tuesday evening city council meeting A special recognition service was held for former 4th District council person Dr. Willie O. Jones by Mayor Aja Brown and the city council.
Dr Jones Honored By Compton for Black History Month:
“From the City of Compton presented to the Honorable Dr. Willie O. Jones in recognition of your dedicated service to the City of Compton as council person of the 4th District and your numerous contributions and economic development and education including the establishment of a scholarship fund to help Compton youth which will now be recognized at the Dr. Willie O. Jones Scholarship Fund.”
In honor of his 22 years of service representatives from Congresswoman Janice Hahn, Assemblyman Mike Gibson, State Senator Isadore Hall and Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas also recognized Dr. Jones.
Quick Facts about Dr. Willie O. Jones
- Resident of Compton for almost 50 years.
- Graduated from the University of Southern California.
- Received the lifetime achievement award from the PTA (Parent-teachers association) for his service.
- Worked at Cal State Dominguez Hills.
- Worked at Compton Community College for more than 30 years ending his career there as a College Trustee Board Member.
- Dr. Jones was elected to the Compton City Council in 2008 in a special election and then re-elected into office in 2011.
- “He’s created a scholarship program that’s given out more than $50,000 in college scholarships Compton Unified School District high school graduates” according to his former liaison Anton Blakely.